Sunday, September 17, 2017

The Upper Room Daily Devotional of Nashville, Tennessee, United States "Alive Again" for Monday, 18 September 2017 - Read Matthew 11:28-30


issue coverThe Upper Room Daily Devotional of Nashville, Tennessee, United States "Alive Again" for Monday, 18 September 2017 - Read Matthew 11:28-30
-------

Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all of you who are struggling and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.[Matthew 11:29 Jeremiah 6:16] 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
-------
Jesus said, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33 (NIV))
My life was in shambles. Working three jobs, I still couldn’t support my family. I felt like a failure. At home, my sons had drifted into destructive pursuits. My wife and I barely spoke. I felt isolated and alone. At night I would pray to die and awaken disappointed to still be alive.
Finally, in despair, I walked into the garage, intending to end my life. Instead, I fell to my knees and prayed, “Jesus, I do not want to die. But, I don’t want to go on living like this either. Take this burden away. Jesus, please save my life!” In a flash, Jesus showed me the difference between his humility and my pride, his meekness and my anger, his faithfulness and my selfishness and deceit. Repenting of my sins, I asked Jesus to transform me — to come into my heart and make me clean. Immediately, rays of hope entered me, and I felt alive again.
After that day, my relationship with my family changed. We cried and prayed together. We forgave each other. We studied the Bible and, with the help of other Christians, my wife and I reconciled. Finally, one Sunday, my family and I stood together before hundreds of witnesses and professed Jesus as Lord.
Although none of us is perfect, our Savior is. We can know that whatever happens, Jesus will never leave us; and knowing this can give us peace.
The Author: Stephen Smith (Texas, USA)
Thought for the Day: When we draw near to God, God will draw near to us. (See James 4:8.)
Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, thank you for loving and rescuing us when we cry out to you. Amen.
Prayer focus: Someone considering suicide
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment