Friday, October 12, 2018

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Missouri, United States for Saturday, 13 October 2018 "This Is My Father's World," ELW 824, verse 1

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Missouri, United States for Saturday, 13 October 2018 "This Is My Father's World," ELW 824, verse 1
1. This is my Father's world,
and to my list'ning ears
all nature sings, and round me rings
the music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world;
I rest me in the thought
of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
his hand the wonders wrought.
***
Harvest time in the country is a lesson in abundance. Sugar beet harvest is beginning here in eastern North Dakota. Workers come from far and wide. Today one of the truck drivers was looking at the tiny seed that was planted in May. Smaller than a carrot seed, the sugar beet seed grows into a vegetable that can be as large as a dinner plate. His comment was, "How can anyone look at this tiny seed and see how it grows into this huge plant and not believe in God!"
Our hymn invites us with a similar thought, "This is my Father's world, and to my listening ears all nature sings and round me rings, the music of the spheres." All around us, in the miracle of nature and the bounty of harvest--if we are listening--we hear the music of God's creation and the incredible ways God provides for us. There is evidence of God's creating word whenever we listen for God's beautiful music.
Play for us, Lord. Let us hear nature singing. Let us hear your music in the harvest, in the changing of the seasons and in the majesty of even the smallest of seeds. Amen.
Sarah Raymond, '13
Pastor, Grand Forks Rural Parish, Thompson, N.D.
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
***

No comments:

Post a Comment