Sunday, October 14, 2018

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 14 October 2018 "This Is My Father's World," ELW 824, verse 3

The God Pause Daily Devotional from The Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States for Sunday, 14 October 2018 "This Is My Father's World," ELW 824, verse 3
3. This is my Father's world;
oh, let me not forget
that, though the wrong seems oft so strong,
God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father's world;
why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is king, let heaven ring;
God reigns, let earth be glad!
***
At first I struggled with this line: "Why should my heart be sad?" Some days life is sad. Some days we're heartbroken. This line seemed to say we should just pull ourselves out of the depths. I have friends who live with depression, who do often ask why they're so sad. But "Cheer up!" is the last thing they need to hear. So I almost chose a different hymn to write about. But still, this troubling line kept creeping back into my thoughts.
Finally, I looked at the last line: "God reigns, let earth be glad!" The hymn doesn't say we should be glad. It says the earth is glad. It reminds us we are surrounded by God's power. The Lord is King; heaven rings! God is still God! This is still God's world. We can be sad and heartbroken but also remember that the One who rules the world is the same One who holds us and our hearts in love.
This is your world, O mighty One. When we cannot be glad and when we cannot find joy, let the earth ring it out for us. Help us to remember your power, creativity and love. Amen.
Sarah Raymond, '13
Pastor, Grand Forks Rural Parish, Thompson, N.D.
The Luther Seminary
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55108, United States
***

No comments:

Post a Comment